Wednesday 23 April 2014

Woolly stuff

I've been wondering what to do with my collection of coloured wool rovings and merino tops for a little while now. These are dyed, carded lengths of wool which are twisted into hanks ready for use.



I originally bought them for spinning using a drop-spindle a couple of years ago and produced a very uneven yarn. Chunky, I think you'd call it! I also did a wet-felting workshop, making abstract designs and colour-combinations.

Recently a friend showed me how to needle-felt, and I so enjoyed it. I played around with the different sizes of needles and backings, and produced this little daffodil picture. Hand-embroidering over it was fun, and I was quite pleased with my first effort.



My dad's birthday was approaching, so I decided to make him a tiny picture. As it is an April birthday it seemed appropriate to make a spring scene. I used tiny stitches for the sheep's heads and legs, and french knots for the flowers.




I was very pleased with the results, and so was he! I really love the zingy colours of the wool, and the softness of the fibres. I now have several more ideas buzzing around in my head for designs, and plan to have a go at 3D needle-felting too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I don't always get time to reply, but I look forward to and love to read your comments - they really do make my day x