Saturday 16 August 2014

Harvest Time

Whilst out and about on our travels it's been noticeable that the fields have all turned to gold and in many cases nothing but stubble remains. It's at this point in the year that I suddenly realise that the summer is nearing an end and that the seasons are subtly beginning to shift again as we move towards, dare I say it, autumn. However, we are still most definitely in late summer at the moment am I am determined to stay here for a bit longer.
Harvest celebrations tend to be in late September and early October, although the grain harvest is being gathered in at this time of year. The landscape has taken on a different set of hues recently, going from fresh green to gold and light brown. I love the warmth of these colours, and the way the fields are positively golden on a fine, blue-skied day.


A week ago my husband and I went for an evening stroll locally and watched as the sun set on a glorious day. The colours were beautiful as the trees became silhouettes and the sky turned into pearlescent shades of pinky peach.


Gradually the sky became lilac and blue as well, and the crops looked softer and more feathery.


As the light faded just a strip of pinkish bronze light remained, casting a glow across the ears of corn.


On the opposite side of the road there was enough daylight to photograph these beautiful corn bales. They really are incredibly photogenic scattered across the stubble.


They resemble giant wheels, and it feels as if they might roll away at any moment.


Meanwhile, we've had our own tiny harvest here at home. This ear of wheat has been growing underneath our bird table from fallen seed. I let it stay there so that I could enjoy it changing colour as it ripened.


I put it in this harvest posy that I picked from the garden. I added fennel and some crocosmia, and it looked very seasonal on my outside table.


Here are a couple of corn dollies which I have on a little shelf in the hall. I bought them both a few years ago, and always enjoy them at this time of year. Corn dollies were traditionally part of a pagan custom in which a decorative straw decoration was made from the last sheaf of corn from the harvest. It was believed that the spirit of the corn would live in it all winter, and then in spring it would be ploughed back into the soil when the new crops were planted.


I love the way they have been woven and may add the art of corn dolly-making to my list of crafts I'd like to try one day.



2 comments:

  1. I love your (singular) ear of corn. Looks perfect in that wee posy. Although it's your first ear of corn it's also your last, so really you HAVE to make a mini something with it :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm going to have to think hard about what I do with this ear of corn! Maybe if I can find a few more I could make my own tiny corn dolly - think a loaf of bread is out of the question, though :) x

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I don't always get time to reply, but I look forward to and love to read your comments - they really do make my day x