Sunday 21 June 2015

Midsummer


'I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows,
Quite over-canopied with luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk-roses and with eglantine:
There sleeps Titania sometime of the night,
Lull'd in these flowers with dances and delight;
And there the snake throws her enamell'd skin,
Weed wide enough to wrap a fairy in'

'A Midsummer Night's Dream' - Shakespeare


It's Midsummer's Day and it's been glorious. Summer is definitely here.
  


Out in the garden in the evening warmth the air is heavy with the scent of honeysuckle and roses as the sun drops below the horizon. 


This time of year is truly magical with dawn long before I wake up and warm, languorous evenings that mean I can garden until late. So much light is wonderful and I try to make the most of it.


As is my custom I burned my favourite candle and cut some flowers for the house. It's my own little tradition and I love to mark this dreamy time of year.



I hope that you've had a lovely Midsummer's Eve and Day and have been able to enjoy the warmth and sunshine outdoors this weekend x


PS I've been away from blogging for a short while as life has been very hectic here indeed. Our new kitchen has taken longer than expected and B and J are both now home from university, so there are now five of us in a house with no kitchen! It's fantastic to have them home again and the kitchen should be finished this week, so I'll be able to return to blogging soon, and can catch up properly with everyone else's blogs too. See you soon x






7 comments:

  1. Your pics are great !! Good luck with your work on your future new kitchen ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to join all family members! Thanks for those fragrant photos!
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers - that pink old fashioned rose is gorgeous. Can't wait to see your new kitchen. L is now back from uni too and I have a hall full of boxes to prove the point! Have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your kitchen is soon up and running, no doubt all your other rooms are cluttered with kitchen equipment as well. Your flowers are gorgeous. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous flowers, summer hasn't reached my part of the world yet, we're weeks behind so I'll make do with your photos while I wait for my honeysuckle to come out. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos and flowers, hope the kitchen is finished soon, been there with a house full of people, not fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's quite magical at this time of year when dusk arrives, the honeysuckle fragrances the garden and it's still warm enough to sit outside! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I don't always get time to reply, but I look forward to and love to read your comments - they really do make my day x