Tuesday 17 June 2014

June Evenings

This week I've been making sure to enjoy the lovely summer evenings we've been having. Life is busy, but there are moments here and there after work when I relish being outside in the light. June is such a gorgeous month, with the longest evenings of the year, so I've enjoyed watering the plants that I have in pots in the little area outside our kitchen door.


I listen to the house-martins screaming and swooping overhead as I fill the watering can, and the evening air is cool after a warm day. The sun's rays are still surprisingly bright and warm, even at 9 o'clock in the evening.


Yesterday after work I picked some roses and made some more rose-petal shortbread.


The petals looked gorgeous in the colander together in so many shades of pink, their perfume heady and sweet.


I've also started to pick the redcurrants which are ripe now. They really are one of the prettiest of fruits. The berries look like translucent glass beads, and I imagine making a necklace from them in my mind's eye. Instead I'm freezing them with a view to making some jam or jelly.


The raspberries are ripening too, but we're eating those straight from the canes, sweet and warm in the sunshine. Raspberry is one of my favourite colours, and I love it here against the soft green leaves.


When I do go indoors, it's fascinating to watch pairs of goldfinches coming to the bird-feeder for the niger seed. They're incredibly busy at this time of year feeding their young, making endless journeys to the feeder all day long. Their plumage glows with flashes of red and gold in the sunshine.


Life doesn't get much better than a warm evening in June x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I don't always get time to reply, but I look forward to and love to read your comments - they really do make my day x